Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Social Media Idea I wouldn't Wrap My Head Around

Facebook is a fun tool and a great way to keep in touch with friends in high school, family overseas and to communicate with others about similar interests. But sometimes I feel that the social media website can be taken way too seriously. Many times in the past I have had friends take Facebook way too seriously, whether its a random comment from someone, or a giant argument about sports or politics. However, I think where i would draw the line is a vest that simulates hugs for every time you get a "Like."

This vest is supposed to squeeze your body every time one of your friends likes something on your page. There are a lot of things i see wrong with this idea. First of all, I don't find the vest very fashionable. It might fit other people's style but I would not look good wearing it.

I don't see how this vest will work efficiently with Facebook. It will likely need some sort of Wi-Fi device installed in it, or it will need to be connected to your phone. So that means that it will drain the phones battery and will make it a hassle to disconnect every time you want to use your phone. This likely would make the vest cost hundreds of dollars. It could also be damaged by rain or snow very easily.

The idea of this vest scares me a little bit. What if the vest malfunctions and starts squeezing my chest without end? It could cause a serious injury. The other aspect is that people with many friends who receive a lot of feedback from people could get annoyed by this vest hugging them 20 or 30 times a day. It could also be a distraction in class for others around you. And then there is the issue of friends trying to prank you. If my friends knew i was wearing this vest, they would immediately log on to Facebook and start liking every single item they can find on my profile. It's something I wouldn't even bother with. The creators of this vest have not yet decided if they would start selling this item, but I would easily say no if they asked for my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment