Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Twitter Chat Is Simple, Somewhat Inefficient



For the Twitter Chat I chose to participate in the PRSSA chat. This chat involved PR students and experts discussing topics related to Public Relations. The chat was slow at first and I was worried about having enough content for the assignment, but things started picking up after a few minutes.

At first, I discussed internships and the leader of the chat, Lindsay Wamble, gave me some information about how she got her internship and a number of people asked me about my internship plans. This shows that Twitter chats can be a good way to network with people around the world and find job opportunities.

During the chat I asked a number of questions about PR and finding jobs in PR. Lindsay told me about the many different careers in PR and I gave my insight on the ones I was interested in. She also told me about writing for The Lantern, something that I will definitely think about doing in the coming weeks.

Overall I feel Tweetchats are too disorganized to be efficient communication tools. The tweets were sporadic and I found myself waiting a number of minutes for another tweet to appear. There were tweets coming from other areas of the country not related to our chat and that was very annoying. Another issue is that there were only about three or four people participating in the chat and everything was going fairly slow. I feel a regular chat room is still a better option than a Twitterchat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment